Australian Sausage Rolls are a seasoned sausage wrapped in a flaky, buttery pastry. They are delicious for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or as an appetizer.
Course: Main CourseCuisine: Australian Servings: 8 Ingredients
- 16 ounces Jimmy Dean Premium Pork Sausage (1 package)
- 1 package frozen puff pastry
- 3/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Be sure to follow the directions on the puff pastry package so your dough is thawed properly and is ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Unfold dough onto a lightly floured surface. You should have 2 big squares. Cut each square in half to create 4 long rectangles.
- Combine the Jimmy Dean Premium Pork Sausage, bread crumbs, milk, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper in a large bowl or food processor and mix until all the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Divide the sausage mixture evenly into 4 sections and make a long tube down each rectangle pastry.
- Roll the pastry up over the Jimmy Dean Premium Pork Sausage and pinch the seam together. Cut each roll into 4 sections.
- Place the sections on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a baking sheet.
- Mix the egg wash together and brush each roll with it. Then sprinkle on a little paprika.
- Bake at 425 for only 5 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350 and bake 30-35 more minutes. Drain excess out of the pan part way through the baking time.
- The rolls should look puffed and golden and the sausage in the center should be cooked through.
- Remove from pan onto some paper towels to cool.
- These are traditionally eaten plain or dipped in ketchup. They are also delicious dipped in barbecue sauce, marinara, alfredo sauce, country gravy, and cheese sauce.