This is one recipe that I would recommend everyone to try at least once. Fried Chicken sandwiches are common all around the world but no one has ever tried a Louisiana style chicken sandwich. This particular sandwich stands out more so due to the crawfish boil that is used to brine the chicken before cooking. Please keep in mind, this is not a “fast” recipe and should be planned ahead of time.
Ingredients needed for this awesome sandwich
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, halved crosswise if thick
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- 2 quarts cold water
- ¼ cup Zatarain’s Crawfish, Shrimp, and Crab Boil—Complete
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper, divided, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning (best if use
Zatarain’s Creole Seasoning )
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Brioche buns, grilled
- Leaf lettuce (optional)
- Dill pickles
- Hot sauce, to serve
Instructions on to make the Hot Fried Chicken
- Cut chicken breasts and thighs in half. In a large stockpot, combine chicken, 2 quarts cold water, and crab boil. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- In a shallow bowl, combine 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Remove chicken from brine, and pat dry; coat chicken with flour mixture, and place on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (This will help make the fried chicken even crispier.)
- In a shallow dish, whisk together Creole seasoning, remaining 2 cups flour, remaining 2 teaspoons salt, and remaining 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss chicken in Creole-seasoned flour mixture, coating liberally and shaking off excess. Place on a wire rack; let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 3 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350˚. Fry chicken in batches until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165˚, 9 to 10 minutes. Let drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the desired amount of mayonnaise onto steamed buns. Top the bottom half of buns with lettuce, a chicken breast piece, a chicken thigh piece, and pickles. Cover with top half of buns. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.